Below is a brief recap of 2019 and a short timeline of our efforts this year:
- Colleen helped spread the word at the City of Oceanside Earth Day
- Colleen presented at Mira Costa College Student Hour regarding food choices and preparation
- Colleen does presentation on exercise and brain health at Country Club Senior Center.
- Anne and Trish did a move your feet presentation at Camino Hill. Great coverage in the UT. https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/north-county-community-news/story/2019-08-16/star-octogenarian-runner-visits-camino-hills?fbclid=IwAR3EDxozkI4uKAvXqa3FQYJNww_zVgn1m9jDFAW99bLhqpb9VN0zF3GS7p0
- The Move Your Feet Before You Eat® Foundation is now more active as a part of the Live Well COI and afterschool program the 2019 SD COI Initiative report shows OUSD overweight/Obesity increase from 37% to 39% in past two years.
- So proud of Sylvia Mosqueda, one of our featured athletes in Dream Big, produced in 2009. World Class athlete and coach, Sylvia was hired as the head coach of Pepperdine Cross County and Track Teams for fall of 2019.
- Sylvia Mosqueda is a Hispanic athlete, who grew up in east LA and went to Harbor College and CSLA. She ran the LA Marathon in 1985. Los Angeles was her first marathon. She led for 20 miles and finished second in the women’s division.
- Community Outreach Coordinator Colleen Soto, starts a Life is Not Linear Facebook page and STEM Grandma Facebook page that provides many fun and effective ideas for implementing a healthy lifestyle for all ages.
- Colleen attends San Diego Festival of Science and Engineering with a table promoting the Move Your Feet Before You Eat Foundation, – Health is Science.
- Board Member Richard Muscio hosts representatives of the Move Your Feet Before You Eat Foundation and The Frontwave Credit Union O’side Turkey Trot on KCBQ radio 3 times in 2019 starting in May and continuing into November. Lots of great commercials and live mentions to promote lifestyle change.
- McAuliffe Elementary running program photo is featured on The Oceanside Charitable Foundation poster representing the MYFYBE Foundation
- Executive Director Kathy Kinane attended the National 4 Day Childhood Obesity Initiative Conference in Anaheim
- Obesity is up and instituting positive behavioral change appears not to show any measurable change.
- Very disturbing news was presented regarding the Renewal of the Farm Bill. The bill allots 3% of our food subsidies to Fruits, Vegetables, nuts and legumes. This bill renews every 5 years. 63% goes to Dairy/Meet, 20% goes to Grains and 51% goes to Sugar Oil and Alcohol. It is obvious why Americans are overweight and under nourished.
- Learned that the Soda Tax was defeated again in California, but has been successful in other Philadelphia where implementing the tax created a 38% decline in sales. 1.5 center per ounce.
- Met some potential collaborators in North County and San Diego County.
- Board members: Kathy Kinane, Carl Brandt, Gary Nessim and Trish Halsey Munroe did a birthday Network for good fundraiser and we brought in $1,568.00.
- MYFBYE Sponsors the Girls on the Run 5k
- Thanks to Frontwave Credit Union, Colleen and Kathy attended the Supergirl Pro handing out Move Your Feet Before You Eat Magnets and Turkey Trot info.
- Tri- City Medical Center provides $2,500 for sponsorship of our Miles of Smiles Shoelace program.
- Start of a 3 month Collaboration with San Jose State Library Studies program to identify and submit grant applications to targeted entities.
- Attended Wellness Committee meeting –
- Implemented the Miles of Smiles Program – Fall 2019 with 9 Schools :
- Oceanside High School , South Oceanside, North Terrace, Martin Luther King, McAuliffe, Laurel, Del Rio, Temple Heights, Stuart Mesa, Ivy Ranch.
- MYFBYE Spokesperson Anne Garrett Speaks at the Amigo De Vista Lions Club
- Martin Luther King Middle School hosted Kathy Kinane and Challenged Athlete’s Foundation representative Willie Stuart as part of their social emotional leadership learning program.
- Board Member – Ruben Sandoval Coached Jefferson Middle School Cross country. There are lots of new talent
- MYFBYE Spokesperson Anne Garret and Kathy Kinane Spoke at Oceanside High School for 7 periods as part of their Social Emotional and Leadership program
- Richard Muscio – hosts Kathy Kinane and Camille, Director of the Childhood Obesity Initiative and Bill Birnie, CEO of Frontwave Credit Union on FM 96.1. Richard and K-Praise ran hundreds of commercials and live mentions promoting the foundation and trot.
- SJSU Students Submit grant application to Clif Bar.
- Trish Halsey, Colleen and Kathy Kinane attended 10 – 12 school rallies promoting the Move your Feet Before You Eat foundation and the O’side Turkey Trot: OHS, EL Camino, MLK, Palmquist, Del Rio, Bonsall West, Temple Heights, St. Mary’s, St. Francis, Del Rio
- Colleen, Kathy and Trish attend Live Well San Diego conference and meet future collaborators in North County. Folks stop by and chat. Colleen was remembered for leading the warmup at the last conference.
- MLK cross country wins big at Mt Sac and coach Lita Esposito rewards runners with Miles of Smiles shoelaces.
- Trish and Kathy were invited to present on the laptracker program to the Oceanside Charitable Foundation.
- 7,000 runners and walkers braved a torrential rainstorm to start their holiday off on the right foot. O’side Turkey Trot raised $24,000 for local school and non-profits.
- Anne Garrett wins her age group for the 14th
- Nov. 15, 2019 Board President Trish Halsey Munroe awarded Volunteer of the Year at the North County Philanthropy luncheon.
2019 Miles of Smiles Running Program Summary
- The foundation paid for Lap Trackers scanners and the annual subscriptions at 7 Schools: (Del Rio, Christa McAuliffe, Ivey Ranch, San Luis Rey, North Terrace, and South Oceanside). Below are the results of Oceanside and Vista Student Laptracker Fall programs. Vista programs are paid for by Vista Schools and PTA
|Del Rio Elementary||142||242.2||2|
|Christa McAuliffe Elementary||280||6,791.25||24|
|Ivey Ranch Elementary||119||4,628||39|
|San Luis Rey Elementary||33||69.6||2|
|North Terrace Elementary||879||8,055.5||9|
|South Oceanside Elementary||217||2,305||11|
|Stuart Mesa Elementary||118||2,268.87||19|
|The Leadership Academy||658||13,961.9||21|